Monday, May 7, 2007

Customization: Windows vs Linux

Now being human and all I tend to like things to be aesthetically pleasing. The ease of which Linux is customizable compared to when i used windows. For my desktop I am using KDE-3.5.6, which is the latest stable release I think, and for awesome looking themes I goto www.kde-look.org. It's great, got almost everything from there, The theme I'm using for KDE, the Icon set - which linked to Deviantart for the download.

hmm looks good.



I started using Linux back when Red Hat 6.2 came out. which was a while ago now, I had not used linux in any form untill just recently when I downloaded and installed Fedora Core 6. Which I find extremely nice to use and with KDE being what it is now, It makes the experiance all that much better.

Now if i wanted to make windows look good, I had to either find the hard to get .theme files that windows supported natively, or download software that was so bloated and full of crap that it was impossible to do anything (exageration) The whole way Windows does the look and feel is all wrong. It is just not robust enough, also its main problem is that it is not open source, the advantage of open source is that you have millions of people making KDE better. Of course the main devs on KDE say what gets put into the official release and what doesn't. It is still better than having no outside input at all.

Also the way the Linux is modulated makes things a lot smoother. well in my opinion it does.
I would put up a pic of a Windows XP desktop but can be bothered. I could probably get XP to look just like i have Fedora Core 6 and KDE looking, but i would then have to grab a windows version of kicker.

What would be nice is the way windows does things with the way linux is built. Don't see why they can't try they just dont have to release the source code. In my opinion Linux works better, and in most cases looks a hell of a lot better. plus its not bloated with code that ya don't need. well one would hope those whom make linux so great don't leave in old code that doesn't work.

No comments: